Monday, November 17, 2008

Not Usually So Punny

Really, I'm not. But I couldn't help it. "I'm Doing it Write Now" summed up everything I wanted to say about my writing career at this point. And "Not Usually So Punny"...well, goofy as it is, it makes me smile.

So, with the assurance that I'm now done with the puns, let me introduce myself.

My name is Lola. Or Cleopatra Jones. Or Imani, depending on where you know me from. For the past three years, I have dabbled in freelancing, which is to say, I've been a lousy freelancer. I just wanted to write, you see. Just write about anything that caught my fancy or crossed my mind. And hey - I was doing what I loved, so the money would come, right? Right?

Um, no. At least not in any appreciable amounts. It's taken me awhile, but I've finally wised up to the fact that freelancing is a business, and must be treated as such. It sucks that one can't just focus one's art without thinking of the business side, but unless you're independently wealthy, summoning your inner Mary Kay Ash is essential.

So, here I go, taking a deep breath and restarting my freelance career. But I'm doing it right this time, starting right.....now.

No comments: